Guardianship & Public Benefits

iStock_000007144537LargePlanning for Your Child’s Transition to Adulthood

As children with disabilities reach young adulthood, planning for their transition to adulthood is critical. Transition planning includes developing a child’s independent living skills as well as vocational and academic skills that will help them succeed in a job or post-secondary education. Additional planning for child’s transition to adulthood includes securing public benefits and considering whether to pursue guardianship or a power of attorney for your young adult child.

Batchis Nestle & Reimann will advocate for an appropriate transition plan in your child’s IEP. We can also counsel and assist in securing public benefits, establishing a power of attorney or special needs trust and/or petitioning the court for guardianship.

Guardianship or Power of Attorney

Many clients ask us whether they need a power of attorney or guardianship for their child when he or she turns 18. The answer depends on your child’s needs, and the attorneys at Batchis Nestle & Reimann can guide you through this choice. Guardianship is a legal process by which the Court appoints a guardian, often a parent, to make some or all decisions for your adult child. A power of attorney is a document in which your adult child gives consent for another person to make certain decisions on his or her behalf.

Transition and Post-Secondary Education Planning

School districts are required to include transition planning in the IEP of every student who turns 14 in the year of the effective IEP. We can advocate for your child to ensure that transition services meet your child needs.

Public Benefits – Medicaid Waivers, Social Security, Medical Assistance

You have always worked hard to provide for your child. Young adults with disabilities may need additional support. Young adults with disabilities may be eligible for public benefits such as health insurance through Medicare or Medicaid (Medical Assistance in Pennsylvania), Medicaid Waivers, Social Security Disability payments or Supplemental Security Income. We can help you to understand and obtain these public benefits.

  • Public Benefits-Medicaid Waiver Appeals, Social Security, Medical Assistance

    Public Benefits-Medicaid Waiver Appeals,

    We can help you secure public benefits for your child, including medical assistance or medicaid waivers....

    Read more

  • Guardianship or Power of Attorney

    Guardianship or Power of Attorney

    The attorneys at Batchis & Nestle can help you pursue guardianship or draft a power of attorney....

    Read more

  • Special Needs Trust

    Special Needs Trust

    We can also assist you in to establish a special needs trust to protect your child’s right to public benefits....

    Read more

  • Transition and Post-Secondary Education Planning

    Transition and Post-Secondary Education

    We help clients plan for their child's transition to adult-hood....

    Read more